Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Kat’s Charisma

Getting the best of offers and having her name listed in the top actresses of the day, things are just looking bright and right for Katrina Kaif. A tête-à-tête with the British-origin actress on her latest release De Dana Dan and more…  

She stepped into tinselville with Boom. But Katrina Kaif soon hung her boots as far as her hot, sexy image was concerned and stayed hooked on a simpleton, girl-next-door image for her movies. In an industry and era when experimenting with one’s roles is the norm and versatility is the benchmark through which an actor graduates from being just an actor to a successful performer, Katrina is one actress who stayed away from experimentation for long. And now, having played the role of musician Anushka in Yuvraaj with such finesse, Katrina has proved her mettle in versatile acting.
Excerpts from the interview —

Five years into Bollywood, how do you rate yourself as an actor now?
I am proud that I could prove wrong all those people who wrote me off for my British accent during my initial days in the industry. Today, I can boast of giving six hits in a row. And with the success of Yuvraaj, my happiness only multiplies. Many people tried to prevent me from making it till here. They did not do so in an aggressive or excessive manner, but they used to say things like ‘I don’t know...’ and ‘I’m not sure...’ that would suggest a not-so-positive approach towards me. But I proved myself ultimately as an actor, more so as a thorough professional. I always try and push myself to exceed expectations. I use this ideology in a positive way.

Would you call it destiny?
God has of course been very kind to me. The special thing about life is that you never know what can happen and there is no limitation to it. Someone can tell you that you can never be this and never be that. But it is not true. Anyone can be what he wants to be and destiny plays a major part in it. I believe that everyone should try and live their dreams, follow them and they might just come true someday.

Your Hindi accent certainly seems to have improved.
Besides honing my acting skills, I worked really hard on my accent. Interacting with various people on and off the sets and doing some eight Hindi movies, dealing with Hindi scripts, practicing dialogue delivery... I think that in itself has taught me and helped me improve my accent.

Your looks, dressing style and even your demeanor and deportment have remained unchanged throughout your movies. You are one actress who has proved that versatility or no versatility, its just good work that matters. However, with De Dana Dan you seem to want to break open from the girl-next-door image.
I have thoroughly enjoyed playing all my roles so far. However, now it was time I progressed from playing the sweet simple girl in comedy films. Or else audiences would have started to believe that being a prop in comedy films is all I could do. I do want to retain the image of the girl-next-door. I don’t want the hot image. Even in sexy lady in the movie Race, I am fully clothed. But, after having spent almost five years in the profession, it’s only natural for me to evolve as an actor, trying different roles and proving to my audiences and critics that it’s not just my face that sells.

Go on…
If you see Akshay Kumar, he was an action hero and then he went to comedy and found out his real calling. It took him to new heights of superstardom. I think it is important to take risks and figure out what really suits you. Every actor has a strength, like Aamir does romance and Akshay does comedy, but I don't know my strength yet. If I get a contrast role in one film like where one get-up has me play a simple, shy and homely girl, the other has me as a brass and loud girl, I would definitely do that.

Who is your favourite co-star?
I enjoy working with Akshay Kumar and Salman Khan. Akshay is a very helpful, co-operative and professional actor. Salman is a very dedicated actor who understands the nitty-gritty of filmmaking really well. It is a great learning experience working with such established actors.

Is your brilliant chemistry with Salman in Yuvraaj an offshoot of the off screen chemistry between you two?
In my opinion, your on screen chemistry with an actor is not related to whether or not you know the person. I think it is the script, which allows you to have chemistry or, conversely, not have chemistry. If you have a scene, which is very well written and there is something electrifying about it, people will surely enjoy it. However, if the script is dull, then even if you are the best of friends off screen, it will not come across on screen.

On a personal note, what do you have to say for Salman?
He likes to act tough but it is so easy to win him over. Anyone who wants to get close to him only has to act defenseless, play the underdog and say, 'I have no friends and no one loves me.' Salman will adopt that person.

After so many hits, you have been tagged as a lucky mascot for producers, by trade pundits.
‘Lucky mascot’ does not make any sense to me. It is such an illogical statement. A successful film is a combination of a good director, good music, intelligent script, good timing, destiny, everybody’s efforts and audience’s reaction. There isn’t a reason or an explanation that you can tag a person as lucky.

What’s your take on off-beat cinema?
I like to watch non-commercial movies sometimes. However, I am pretty clear about what I want to do. I don’t want to go down the road doing serious cinema. I am happy doing commercial films. Fun films, I believe, give the audience time to escape the monotony in everyday life.


What’s your health mantra?
Exercise, eat well. You have got to be careful about what you eat because Indian food tends to be way too oily. Try to eat more healthy food - more vegetables, more fish. I like Japanese food because it is very healthy and delicious. I like that kind of taste – less spicy and oily. Besides, get up early, don’t oversleep, go to the gym, and go to work on time. And most importantly, always be happy.



No comments: