Thursday, April 7, 2011

KAT’s OOMPH


From Boom, the movie in which she is skimpily clad, to Sheila Ki Jawani – the item number in which the actress without baring it all has oozed out that oomph, KATRINA KAIF has surely come a long way. She is sultry yet sweet; intense yet fun-loving. 
SHILPI SHUKLA ALEXANDER gets talking with one of the leading actresses of Bollywood…


Director Farah Khan did keep her promise of giving you the best item number of the year.
Yes she did. With so many fan mails an calls, Sheila Ki Jawani’s success did make me feel like a celebrated artist. Although a major credit goes to Farah as I just almost blindly followed her instructions.

You are rated as the hottest actress of Bollywood today.
This is for the audience to decide. But I don’t find myself hot or sexy.

Do you think you are lucky to have made it so big in Bollywood?
Surely. Not only do I get the best of films, they also turn out to be box office hits. This surely pleases and amazes me. However, I do wish that I was as lucky with bagging awards as well.

Year 2010 has been really good for you.
With hits like Rajneeti and Sheila Ki Jawani, I seriously couldn’t have asked for more. While rajneeti established me as a serious actor, this item number well showcased my dancing skills.

Given the fact that Farah is known for yelling at her crew and actors on the sets, how scary was it for you to work with her in the film?
Oh! I used to enter the sets with my hands trembling. I was so afraid of her initially. But thankfully she never yelled at me. She was either being too sweet to me or my wok did please her.

What qualities should an actress have to stand a chance in Bollywood?
To each his own. In my opinion, other than having loads of acting talent, one does have to have his or her own appeal. You must have something special that sets you apart from the crowd. It could be one’s oomph factor, beauty, grace, intelligence, ethnic looks, expressiveness, chirpiness or anything else. Every actress has her own plus point that draws the audience.

Did you always want to become an actor?
I always dreamt of becoming an actress. Acting was my biggest passion. But I never wanted to pick just any role in haste to make a place for myself here. With time, right opportunities came my way which I took no time in availing.

What would you be if not a model?
A model.

What kind of movies do you particularly love working on?
While I am open to doing different roles and prove my acting skills in all genres, I particularly love working on romantic comedies. This is one genre I directly relate to. I am eager to work on something like When Harry Met Sally.

Which actors are you keen on sharing screen space with?
I would love to work with Aamir Khan and Shah Rukh Khan. All I am awaiting is a call from a director for one such film.

Actresses are known to never be friends with one another. Have your say.
See. To be social or not is a personal choice, not professional. But if you are talking about professional rivalry, I must say that all of us excel in different genres. While Vidya Balan is known for her ethnic roles, I am good at playing fun roles. It is likewise with all other actresses in the film industry. So where’s the comparison?

What’s your beauty secret?
(Laughs) Onscreen, it is the camera, lighting and the makeup. And offscreen, it’s good food, exercise and mood. I largely credit inner peace and happiness for one’s good looks. So be happy if you don't want wrinkles on your face.

Do you have plans to enter Hollywood?
No Hollywood for me. I am quite happy with where I am at the moment. I might consider a few meaty roles in regional films though.

Which projects do you have in your kitty at the moment?
I have Zara Akhtar’s Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara that stars Hrithik Roshan, Abhay Deol and Farhan Akhtar. Then there is Mere Brother Ki Dulhan opposite Imran Khan.  Next is Dostana 2 opposite Abhishek Bachchan and John Abraham.

Is it true that you are soon planning to settle down with Ranbir Kapoor?
I prefer keeping my personal life to myself.

No comments: