Thursday, April 15, 2010

Hrithik's Flying Kites


Hrithik’s Kites

This 36-year-old stunner has done a range of movies -- from sci-fi to superhero, from action to comedy, and from historical to motivational narratives. The blatant actor has yet again walked out of his safety zone to darn an all-new avatar --- the new-age romantic. The heart of Bollywood, Hrithik Roshan sports a new look and new character for his upcoming film Kites for which he’s all praises and positive. An upclose.

Your fans wish to see more of you. It’s been two-and-a-half years since Jodha Akbar.
I accept that I do very few films. You could say that I can’t multi-task. I get fully absorbed in the film that I am doing no matter how long it takes for it to hit the screens. I got this inspiration from the Tinkle comic books that I used to read as a child. It used to advocate that one should stick to one thing at a time to be successful and happy in life. This philosophy helps me remain grounded and focused to this day. Also, I feel that instead of boring the audience with nonsensical films in a row, it’s better to come up with just one film in a year but that should be worth the long wait.

Tell us about Kites.
It is a film about an Indian man’s affair with a Latin woman and their predicament as they don’t understand each other’s language. The film is being made in both Hindi and English. The English version of Kites has been presented and reworked by well-known Hollywood director Brett Ratner. All in all, it’s an honest film and my first complete romantic love story.
Why do you call it an honest film?
Well, nothing in the film, neither dialogues nor moments are made-up or fabricated so as to make audience jump with joy, clap, cry or laugh. It’s a very simple straightforward love story, something that would happen in real life. And following that thread whatever fell into place has made the film what it is.

You are the newest actor singer in the industry.
(Coyly) I never thought I would become one. I wasn’t too sure how I would perform in my debut as a singer. However, my uncle Rajesh Roshan and director Anurag Basu were confident that I would do a good job for I hail from the family of musicians.

So, how did you tune up your vocal chords?
Oh! Singing that one song took me many sleepless days and nights. I had asked for two months time, they gave me two weeks. Hence, I would start with sa re ga ma, right from the time I would wake up to brushing my teeth to taking the shower. I always sang with hand movements trying to reach the highest scale and the lowest note. However, when the actual recording time came, I had butterflies in my stomach. I got them to switch off all the lights in the studio because I was getting too distracted and conscious. Only when the whole studio was blacked out, did every note fall into place, or at least I felt that way (laughs).

You met with many accidents during the film’s shooting.
Yes. I hurt my knees while doing a dangerous car stunt in Las Vegas and later injured my arm while shooting in Filmistan Studio in Mumbai. Others were minor bruises.

How positive are you about the success of your film?
I never take up a project that I don’t believe in. More than the film’s budget or star cast, it’s the storyline and director that I pitch for. Kites has a perfect script and an excellent director. Also, Barbara has done a fairly good job and I have put in my heart and soul in the movie. As mentioned before, Kites is a very honest film. That was the brief that my father and Anurag Basu gave to the entire team while making Kites. We do not want to be within our comfort zone influenced by manipulative commercial thinking. I trust our efforts and sincerity more than marketing initiatives. Hence, I see no reason why my film won’t be appreciated by people.

Did you fly kites as a young boy?
Yes, I remember papa used to teach me. We used to live on the 13th floor of a building. I was too small and used to wonder that the kites seems so light but when it's flying, it's really hard...

How was it working with Barbara?
Barbara is simply superb. A fine actor and humble human being. Another reward for working on this film is finding a Mexican friend – genuine and considerate.
Much has been said about your alleged affair with co-star Barbara.
A certain section of the media needs to understand the difference between sincere journalism and despicable sensationalism. Journalists are widely trusted and respected by the public. A huge responsibility falls on their shoulders. I wish they realise this before it’s too late. Had my wife and children not been as understanding, I know not what this Instigation and provocation would have led to.

Do you think that India now has the means to make films that can stand their own on a global platform?
Sure we do. We have the expertise and also the required budget for the same now. It’s about time we started thinking of such novel ideas for we have no constraints now. Take films like Scarface or Once Upon A Time In America, for instance. Nobody breaks into a song. So, we too should let go of the safety nets.
But you have yourself sung for your latest movie.
Like I said before, it’s an honest film. The guy wanted to sing at a given point, and Anurag was very sure it had to be actually me. Good singing, bad singing, it didn’t matter. But the singing had to be from the heart.

Having reached the pinnacle of success today, where do you see yourself 10 years from now?
I can only see myself doing quality films till my last breath.   

Did you always want to become the best in the industry.
See, when one aspires to become an actor, every one visualises himself as being the top slot. This is the motivation that helps one enter films. However, once you start working, it is the journey you begin to enjoy, not the destination. Audience reaction is my access point to growth. They have loved me for 10 years and I feel truly blessed.

What next and… when?
Guzaarish in November this year. This is yet another film very close to my heart for I play a paraplegic, wheelchair-using patient suffering from impairments of the motor and sensory functions of the lower limbs. The film’s directed by Sanjay Leela Bhansali and casts Aishwarya Rai opposite me. She plays a married nurse who falls in l9ove with this patient.



No comments: